Barren River Lake flooding, high water closes ramps, Bailey’s Point campsites

As the Barren River Lake continues to rise, several boat ramps and a portion of the Bailey’s Point campground have been closed. The Barren River Lake level stood at 571.69 ft. at 4:30 p.m. CT Friday, April 29. In 24 hours the lake has risen 2 ft. 2 in., according the Corps of Engineers.

CLOSED
– Port Oliver Recreation Area and Boat Ramp
– Barren River Lake State Park Boat Ramp
– Peninsula Boat Ramp
– Bailey’s Point B-Loop Campsites
– Bailey’s Point C-Loop Campsites
– The Narrows Marina

OPEN
– Beaver Creek Boat Ramp (back down only)
– Brown’s Ford Boat Ramp (back down only)
– Bailey’s Point Boat Ramp (back down only)
– Austin Boat Ramp (back down only)
– Walnut Creek Boat Ramp (back down only)
 – Walnut Creek Marina
– Barren River Lake State Park Marina
– Peninsula Marina (courtesy dock and shuttle available)

The Quarry Road is being monitored for possible closure, as well. If the Quarry Road is closed, visitors are asked to use the overlook parking area to access the Quarry Road facilities.
   Boaters are urged to use extreme caution due to submerged signs, rocks, guy wires, piers and drift, that can make it unsafe to boat or swim.

12 comments

1. ssledge says:

So what is the likelyhood that Baileys will be hi and dry by the Fourth of July? We have reservations for B on the 4th.

• Clay says:

By July 4, Bailey’s Point should be back to normal, unless the lake gets a lot of unseasonal rainy weather in May and June (and then everything will be in trouble). Things should begin drying out here soon as the temperatures begin to turn from nice to HOT! Don’t cancel your plans. Hope to see you at the fireworks at the lodge on July 4!
      And, THANKS for reading!

2. ssledge says:

Hi Clay,

Just wondering with all the rain last Month – after your reply to my previous Q.
    Do you still see Baileys getting back to normal? I haven’t been up there lately
    to find out for myself. Last I heard,,,B24 was still under water and the guy at the
    booth said I would get a full refund. Honestly I dont want the money I want to keep
    my promise to my daughter but am unsure if thats gonna happen. I’ve still got a
    lot of prep to do on my boat and camper,, but have been putting it off for fear of
    disappointment… 🙁

Glad to have found the site. btw

• Clay says:

OK, I am cautiously optimistic that you will still get in Bailey’s B24 for the Fourth of July. It is still 21 ft. above summer pool, but it only needs to fall another 8-10 ft. for you to get to your camping spot for the fireworks. There is no measurable rain in the lake forecast for the next 10 days, so it will continue to fall.
      However, the Corps of Engineers has announced that they are extending the closing of Bailey’s B and C Loops through next Thursday, June 9. They also announced that they are hoping to have the lake down to summer pool by mid-July, so they are planning to pull some water between now and then.
      Don’t give up hope. I hope to be watching the fireworks beside you come July 4.

3. sandy says:

Is swimming area in Barren County and main part of Lake open to the public.? The one below the camp grounds off 31 E.

• Clay says:

As of Tuesday, June 7, there are NO swimming areas open on Barren River Lake. Yes, people are swimming in the lake, either from boats or from the bank, but there are no swimming beaches open. If you decdie to swim, please use caution. The lake is still 19 ft. above summer pool, but continues to drop.

• Clay says:

As of Tuesday, June 7, there are NO swimming areas open on Barren River Lake. Yes, people are swimming in the lake, either from boats or from the bank, but there are no swimming beaches open. If you decide to swim, please use caution. The lake is still 19 ft. above summer pool, but continues to drop.

4. ssledge says:

Hey Clay,

Do you work at the lake? ACoE? etc.. Reason I ask. I’ve been trying to call
    the booth @ Baileys Point to speak to them without having to drive up there
    to do so. But its like they are just leaving their phone off the hook. For instance
    tonight I have been trying to call starting around 7:00,.its now almost 9pm.
    Still busy! It has been so – solid for almost two hours now.

Quite frustrating if those guys are ignoring our calls. I have a question for them about my reservation. Isn’t he employed by the state. If so does he have a right to take the “booth” phone off the hook and just leave it?

• Clay says:

Thanks for writing. I do not work at the lake or for any lake-related industry. I live in Scottsville and am a college professor. I can understand your frustration. You may want to call the ACofE office directly and see what help that they can give you. You can reach the Barren River Lake ACofE office at (270) 646-2055, office hours: M-F, 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
      Good Luck! If there is anything else that I can help you with, please drop me a note.

5. ssledge says:

Well Clay whats up. Are we going to be (B) open for the 4th?
    With all the rain in the forcast I am worried thats not going to happen.